Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I Dream of Californication–Day 2 and Day 3

DSC03161So this was my view when I woke up on Day 2. Pretty impressive. Kinda makes up for the freezing cold night that I had to endure. I didn’t leave the truck door open too long, it was way too cold. We didn’t realise it at the time but we did later find out that we were sleeping at about 8,000ft, which kinda would explain how we got so cold. But the start of the morning did make up for it…natural Hot Water Springs, with an awesome view of the mountains.




023

034

048

After that much deserved warm up, we continued down the 395 (which is a pretty scenic route the whole length), before stopping at Mono Lake.

054

055

056

057

DSC03189
The Wickenden Pub at Mono Lake, my local pub back at Providence, RI
We then took a slight detour from the 395 and around the June Lake Loop, which I would strongly recommend doing if you’re ever driving down the 395. It’ll add about 20 minutes to your journey, but it;s so worth it.

DSC03208

065

066

On the drive through, we stopped off at Bishop and Low Pine (which is where they film a lot of the old western films).

DSC03232
Bishop
DSC03233
Low Pine
We headed higher still from Low Pine to check out a waterfall up the Mount Whitney portal. Twas frozen, but well impressive. Then back down a little to the Alabama Hills, where we ended up spending the night. But before bed, it was play time, this rockery was a scrambler's wet dream. I felt like I was twelve again, climbing over a load of rocks, only to get to the top, look around, see another load of rocks – “Dam that' looks higher, that’s what I’m climbing next” Great views and a sweet spot to see Mount Whitney (which is the tallest mountain in the lower 48 (lower 48 = USA – Alaska and Hawaii)).

DSC03236

DSC03260

DSC03267

DSC03268

DSC03269

DSC03271

After a BBQ of Hot Dogs (without the buns)) and tortilla “chips”, and yet another cold night, we woke to have another scramble on the rocks before setting off, and checking out the last of the views.

114
Man, it was amazing how windy it was at the top of these rocks, but so worth it. Another great way to start a day. I think I like California.

DSC03277

I did wanna experience a earthquake whilst I was in California…why not, I’m a tourist….but I did find out that in these areas there’s pretty much earthquakes all the time, there just too light to feel. So on that note, I’m gonna claim that I’ve survived a earthquake! The next part of the journey was pretty much dessert, not too much exciting, I just wish I got a photo of the sign “Steak – 200 miles away”…Dam, that’s a long time to wait for steak. Pretty much a couple of hours of not much to look at, with the occasional small town to drive through until we reached LA…..Bring on the SUN and the HEAT.

DSC03285

We carried on and headed to Dylan’s gaff, which is in Temecula. Before picking up BBQ supplies and Margarita mix for the evening ahead. And this is where I currently am, the morning after. Bring on San Diego (which is about an hour south of here) and the weekend! And guess what, it’s sunny again!!! (and this is November). This will be published soon, but it’s been well nice being away from “social networking” if I’m being completely honest.

I also found out yesterday (Thursday) that I have a job in Jasper, just need to get my Canadian work permit through now. Dunno if I wanna leave this sun for the cold just yet.

...And one more photo of Mount Whitney

3 comments:

  1. the views are amazing!!! so glad you decided to travel down to california. hope you're having a great time. i want a margarita!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike you are so now going to see all our scenic photos as you are now into it!!!!!!!!! By the way Canada is just as impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah me too. Iwas a good (much needed...which sounds weird) week.

    And what's the point of going then if it's "as impressive"!?

    ReplyDelete