Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I Dream of Californication–Day 1

DSC03156
It might not look like much, but that is
Jupiter...I wish my camera could pick up all
the stars. 
Apparently Uranus is right next to it too.
WOW…I think that’s the best and only way to start this entree. After leaving at 4 o’clock this morning, driving for 18 hours, and covering about 1,000 miles, we have stopped just outside a small town called Brookridge in California, the middle of nowhere. It’s pitch black here and I can honestly say that I have never seen this many stars in the night sky, amongst all of them is several extremely clear shooting stars and Jupiter. You can even see the Milky Way.

I’m writing this blog whilst being sat in Mark’s truck, my bed for the night in the passenger’s seat, I wish I could publish this now, but I have no internet. But I still wanted to get it all written down.

So after getting to sleep last night (this morning) at about 1:15, I did actually wake up to my alarm going off at 3:15…so me, Mark, and Dylan even headed out 5 minutes earlier than planned, leaving at 3:55. I did pretty much sleep the whole drive through Washington, but woke up in time to cross the state-boarder into Oregon, and I even got to see Portland…Twice.

DSC03082
Sunrise, near Portland
DSC03100
The pictures on this post are all in order to show you how much the weather has been changing through our day

DSC03105
Crossing the Washington / Oregon state boarder

DSC03106

Passing out several times through Oregon (I wasn’t tired, but trust me, the back seats in Mark’s truck are pretty tight to say the least, and sleeping just seemed the best way to get through it), though on each occasion of waking up I did see Oregon’s awesome scenery. We had a McDonald's is the most scenic venue that I’ve ever been to. The McDonald’s being there kinda made me laugh, kinda shows that you can’t except them arches.

DSC03112

DSC03115

DSC03116

DSC03117

DSC03120

oregon_flag_map

After not too long, and after climbing higher, we past the state boarder into a not so typical stereotype of California…I’m pretty sure that it’s not meant to snow here. But to be fair I have seen extreme sun, some extreme rain, some extreme winds, and some extreme snow today, all on several different occasions (we’ve been travelling up and down several hills all day). And if I’m being honest, the north of California is VERY similar to the south of Oregon. We even got to stop off in a small town called Weed, which seemed to be taken advantage of it’s name for all the tourist gimmicks on sale…also thank you to the two girls in Weed’s Petrol (Gas) station for having such an entertaining conversation!

DSC03123
My last view of Oregon...
DSC03124
...And my first impression of California
DSC03127

DSC03131

DSC03132

DSC03133

DSC03134

DSC03137

DSC03142

DSC03146

DSC03148

DSC03149

Several hours driving, (and after another kip in the back) we crossed another state boarder into Nevada to the city of Reno and headed for an ‘In N Out’ which is pretty much what we did in Nevada, we were in and out within a few hours (and sorry to Ryan and Katie, we were still a good 5 hours away from you guys in Vegas). It was good grub…simple menu…awesome food. And my tip for any fast food, if you ever buy a chocolate milkshake, once finished, don’t rinse out your cup, just fill it up with root beer for a throffie and surprisingly tasty delight.

DSC03154
In N Out's menu...simple
DSC03155
It aint as big as Vegas
nevada_flag_map

After driving for about another 3 hours (and crossing into California again) we arrived at our present destination. It’s pitch black here, so I’m pretty excited to wake up and see what’s around me…all I know is that I’m in a dessert…..(but by the time I get round to posting this, I’ll have already seen the answer.

DSC03157
All I know of my current surroundings
DSC03159
So here we are...currently halfway down the very east of California
499px-Flag-map_of_California.svg

This now means that (including DC and stop over flights (which I’ve been told I’m not allowed to count…but I’m gonna)) I’ve now been in 15 US States in my life time. And including my trip to Tampa, Florida (back in March and April of this year), by the time I arrive in San Diego, I will have covered the four corners of the USA in this year alone (including Seattle and Boston). Not bad, considering I was never originally planning on coming to the Sates and considering that I aint even covered the four corners of England (well…I’ve never had a need/reason to head up to the Northeast.

On this trip (to date (since leaving England two months ago – to the day)) I’ve covered:
  • Towns/Cities: Already countless (but all firsts on this trip)
  • States/Provinces: 7 (6 of which are firsts on this trip)
  • Countries: 1

I’m gonna leave the car door open now until it gets too cold, it’s pretty impressive up there tonight, and it’s gonna be a long time before I see this many stars again…I hope it doesn’t cloud over tonight.

…And Dylan, if you ever read this, sort me out with them enhanced pictures of the night's sky so I can put them on here. Cheers mate.

3 comments:

  1. wow - looks friggen cold. i love those burgers. i really want to take a trip with ryan to portland. i hear such good things about it but maybe in the summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've heard good things to, it looked cool driving past it (over it) on Monday night. And it aint too far from here, just a few hours, you can take him when you're here next year.

    ReplyDelete