Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Road trip to Cains (North Queensland, I think....I think I love you) - Day 7, 8 and 9

So I now think along with Rhode Island, California and Vancouver Island, I can now safety add North Queensland to the list of places I could live. I like Brisbane, but the north has it all - so much to see and do, I could do the road trip all over again and do nothing the same and still have not done everything I wanna do up there. And I know it's winter here, but coming home to Brisbane you could feel it getting colder and colder the further south we got, and as soon as we crossed that Capricorn you could really feel a drop in the temperature.

So we got back to Brisbane on Tuesday night, the journey home was done in a lot less time then the journey up. But I need to carry on my post from Day 7 aka Sunday morning! After waking up at Rocky Creek Memorial Park (which we found out was a military base for the Aussie solders in the second world war) we headed to Lake Eacham, where we didn't see any turtles (Dan did ask the stupid question of "I wonder what turtles eat", but everybody knows that they eat pizza), so left pretty soon after arriving and made our way to Millaa Millaa Falls (and by chances, we did see a turtle there), where I couldn't say no to a nice morning bath (just try and keep me out of these waters)!







Lake Eacham


Millaa Milla Falls




Just proving that I have written it down correctly.
We then decided to make our way to Millstream Falls (the widest in Australia) and the Innot Hot Springs, but on route we stopped for lunch in Ravenshoe, which is the highest town in Queensland! After lunch and checking out the falls, we headed way west to Innot, which really was in the middle of nowhere.

The highest pub in Queensland (in Ravenshoe), we would've eaten there but we arrived at 2:20 (due to getting lost) and we found out on our arrival that they stop serving lunch at 2!

Millstream Falls

Innot Hot Springs



Some drunk English guy from Reading thought that he could jump it...

....

Just a weird sign really!


After this point, we slowly started making our way back to Brisbane. We left the Innot Hot Springs on Sunday evening and set up camp at Bluewater Park (which is just north of Townsville). Waking up, we carried on heading back towards Brisbane, briefly stopping off at Home Hill, then having a late lunch in Mackey (shopping mall, nothing too exciting), and picking up a few bits so that we could set up camp at Dululu Progress Assn Rest Area, and have a bonfire for our last night on the road. I picked up some marshmallows to make smorz, but Australians don't seem to believe in chocolate digestives, the biscuits I ended up picking up just turned out to be an epic fail...still a good last night though.

The "creek" at Bluewater Park


Home Hill, the middle of nowhere

Home Hill


A brief stop at Bowen



Dan cooking Emily's dinner just outside MaCey D's, just outside Rockhampton


Dululu





We then woke up yesterday to complete the final part of our journey back to Brisbane. We left Dululu and headed down the highway slightly inland, passing through several small towns (where petrol is really really expensive, as is water). Before stopping off at Kilkivan for a quick lunch (awesome beef pies). We were planning to head to Rainbow beach on the way back, but instead we just popped onto Bribie Island, and had our very quick dinner at Bongaree (it was a bit too dark by the time we got there for us to really do anything) before heading back to Brisbane, getting back home last night.

Dululu

Dululu





I think when Kirra-Lea told me "not to do anything stupid whilst away" she mean t things like this!?



On the road to Bribie Island (the only island that is accessible by bridge in Queensland...

...On said bridge)

In Bongaree on Bribie Island, looking onto the mainland
So back to work tomorrow, I have today off to do what ever (some boring stuff, but it is sunny today), two days on at work then it's the weekend again. This road trip has just made me more eager to get back on the road again!

Two posts in the space of a day, aint you all lucky readers!

1 comment:

  1. Hi - I think I have found a way to make a comment without having to create a blog. I'm very jealous and I want to visit N Queensland in the winter (our summer). What a boring life you lead!!!

    ReplyDelete