Thursday, July 14, 2011

Road trip to Cains (I know there's an "r" but it's not needed) - Day 1, 2 and 3

What up world, how we all doing? That's kind of a rhetorical question cos I know that no one's gonna comment on that with an answer (well you might now I've said that).

So it's currently Wednesday evening, and we're currently in a X-Base hostel in Airlie Beach which is on the Whitsundays coast, Queensland. Dan, Emily and I left Brisbane Monday morning, with a mission of reaching Cairns and being back to Brisbane by this time next week (as I'm back to work a week Thursday). The three of us are currently in our hostel room, which aint too shabby, sharing with two Dutch guys, Bart and Sebastian. And all are asleep, the two of them are on some boating tour in the morning, and us three will be up to do a boat and snorkeling tour around several of the Whitsunday Islands, which I'm kinda looking forward too, once I've written this I'll be off to bed too!

I think I'll just do a quick run down of the last few days (I just wanna get some pictures up whilst I can as I have power again so I can recharge all my stuff). We left Brisbane on Monday, and after a few short stops we arrived in Bundaberg, where we had a quick stop at the distillery where we picked up a bottle of Bundy Red, before driving north for a couple more hours stopping at Boyne River Rest area where we set up camp for the night, me in the car, them two in the tent.


Nearly there (that's in Km, not miles)





Bundy









The following day we woke up, and made our way to Rockhampton (another wannabe "Hampton"), which is about 5Km north of the tropic of Capricorn. We stopped there for lunch, but on our way through we drove through Mount Larcom (well it's the closest I'm ever gonna get). And from Rockhampton we headed up to an camp site called Carmila Beach which had hardly anybody there, which was great for us to finish our bottle of Bundy and have a bonfire on the waterfront.

Our first view of our campsite in the morning

...And the toilet / very very very cold shower facilities





Naughty Daniel

Getting closer




Freaky (if you know my family tree...otherwise, irrelevant)





Closer to Southampton than you know, Rockhampton







Our Car becomes my bed, my sleeping arrangements the two nights prior to tonight


We woke up this morning, and after quick eats we decided to head straight to the Whitsundays to save time, skipping through Mackey. We figured it'd give us more time here at the Whitsundays and give us a bit more time to get to Cairns. We arrived at Airlie beach, had some grub, booked our Island tour (the one we're doing tomorrow), booked our hostel (for tonight and tomorrow), then decided to head to Cedar Creek Falls, where I turned into an adventurer again, scrambling over everything in site..."oh this is high, but that looks higher", Before heading back here for some cheap (but not tasteless) backpacker food and beer, before chilling out here....and discovering that our pocket WiFi works much better here than it does back home in Brisbane (great excuse to move here really!)

Our views this morning


Random white spider



Aint we good!






Sugar Cane



Cedar Creek Falls basin (we did see some turtles in here when we were higher up)






?


At the top, behind the falls.



Rally Driver Dan


The room I'm currently in

...And my bed (the top bunk by the window)
So that's pretty much as up to date as I can get right now. I think the plan is to stay here tomorrow then have a burst up to Cairns on Friday (I've been told it's about 8 hours from here), but plans change, for the moment, I'm just gonna enjoy my time here, and the fact that I still have a week off of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment