Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Yep, now you're ready for Machu Picchu!"

This post is gonna be written in two sections I think, as for some reason I can’t get on the internet in my current location, but still wanted to update this!

So I had another day in Chiclayo, I had a tour of Mesuo Nacional Sicán, and then into the Bosque de Pómac woods to see Huaca Loro. I was with a Peruvian couple all day, both were teachers, one of them a Music teacher, who loved British rock, funny talking to him.



A real life skull! A part from that, loads more jewellery


An old tree - 500 years old!








Chiclayo main plaza

I then had another 12 hour night bus ride to Chachapoyas. I arrived in the morning, and shortly after had a trip to Kuelap, a ruin that is over 3000m above sea level.













Spot the German! I love this photo, I had to take it, as I was walking up to everyone I was in stitches only this French woman (out of shot) could see what I was laughing at!






The following day I headed to Petroglifos la Pitaya and trekked to waterfall Cataratas Gocta, which is supposedly the third highest waterfall in the world at 771m (although the lower part is about 560m (from memory)). Again on a tour with no English speakers. I hate talking in the mornings anyways, so having to speak Spanish first thing was never gonna happen, it did take me a couple of hours to come around to that. I did HAVE to take a swim at the base of the fall, even if it was only 8degrees!, I mean how often are you gonna be at the base of the third biggest waterfall in the world…..it was cold!



The whole waterfall




With the falls behind me!
When I got back to Chachapoyas that afternoon/evening there was a random festival going on. I couldn't really figure out exactly what was going on, but there were a load of guys tryna plant a tree in the middle of some cross roads (that’s not a typo), a band playing, and loadsa kids running around with waterballoons!?! The party carried on way into the night and ended up with live salsa music being played on the street, I seemed to get adopted by another Peruvian family, and I'm almost certain that the Grandma wanted to take me home with her that night, I'm not bragging, I'm just saying……

















Same sugar cane drink that they let ferment...well that's what it tasted like!?!?! 

Then they just stood around their newly planted tree for a while, drinking beer!

Chachapoyas Plaza

I woke up the following morning (still very drunk) and caught my 23 hour bus ride back to Lima. Coming from Chachapoyas to Cajamarca area was amazing! Really amazing, the scenery is epic.





My camera lens started to steam up at this point (I can only assuming from swimming in a cold lake with it the previous day), it's meant to be and thus far has been water/dust//shock/freeze proof, but when I bought it about this time last year in WOW in Australia, I asked them "is it Mike proof"......she thought I was joking and just said "haha, yeah"....well you were wrong. If I had any tools I'd be able to fix it, but I have nothing, so I'm just gonna wait and see if it sorts itself...hopefully, but I am still waiting!

The two things I've learnt about Peru this week: There are way way way too many speed bumps on the road, but then Peruvian drivers are crazy, and drive on the wrong side of the road very often, and beep their horns for anything and everything, so maybe the constant speed bumps are essential  And also, Inca Kola = Yellow Irn-Bru - AMAZING!!!!

I arrived back in Lima this morning, and booked myself into the same hostel that I was in last week in the Miraflores District. Then checked out the Barranco District (where I will be heading tomorrow) before doing the fountains Circuito Magico del Agua in Parque de la Reserva earlier tonight.

Estadio Nacinal, built by the English...well we love our football!


I really dunno what my level of Spanish is, whether it's basic or really basic. I managed to win my first Spanish argument this morning with a taxi driver who tried to rip me off, but two days prior to that I couldn't even get a "mapa" of Chachapoyas when I was in Chachapoyas....

Miraflores


Barranco

Really....

Whata great tour this would be!










The show, played with music, lights, and video







OK, so I wrote all the above last night, but I've got a bit of time free now and the interwebbiethingy, so I’ll just get this up on-line now. And I’ll just add a couple of pictures from earlier on today in Lima. It started off cloudy again today, but it really did clear up!

Parque del Amor, Miraflores




No comments:

Post a Comment