Thursday, December 2, 2010

Vancouver and onto Jasper

So on Saturday afternoon I said “goodbye” to America, and “hello” to Canada. Leaving Seattle it took about 2 hours to reach the border…which was a lot easier in customs than coming into America (and friendlier)…there was no scanning of our stuff, just a sniffer dog…seriously! Then getting my work permit granted took about 20 minutes (if that). Then after that it took about another 2 hours to get to Vancouver.

Upon arriving, I didn’t have any Canadian money, which I didn’t think would be a problem…..oh how wrong I was….I couldn’t get any money out any at first, so with all my stuff I started to walk to my hostel…yeah, didn’t take me too long to give and just jump on the skyline (Vancouver’s equivalent to the London Underground…but in the air (less grim)).

Weekend consisted of fair amount of drinking and hanging out with a lot of Australian’s. I couldn’t tell you all the bars I hit, cos if I’m being honest I didn’t really care about their names. But it was a productive weekend too, I got my Social Security Number sorted on Monday. Met some pretty sweet people though, Kathrine, my new Irish friend who is heading to Jasper in a few weeks. Jenna and Dana (good luck with your new sofa Dana), two of the very few Canadians I met in Vancouver (seriously everyone there was Australian, including all my roommates) and Karl, an Australian who must’ve had a pretty sweet night on Sunday, waking up in Vancouver on Monday morning, with a whole set of new clothes….good going! Also bumped into my friend, Tom’s roommate, Stu from Cardiff for a couple of hours before he headed off to Whistler. Glad to get away though, Vancouver was fun, but I rinsed through my money!

Vancouver at 7:30 in the morning...I stayed awake for breakfast...which was just toast! Great

The view from my room




Stanley Park

The top bunk was mine, I got about 5 hours use out of it!!!

Poutine (not Putang (and knew I'd say it wrong, and yes  Putang means the same in Canada as it does in England)



I left Vancouver on Monday night and travelled overnight to Jasper (which is in Alberta but right on the British Columbia / Alberta Province border). I’m pretty sure I slept most the way, and ironically I dreamt that I was on a bus! But with each rest stop, the snow kept getting thicker!!!

I arrived in a very early, very closed and very cold Jasper on Tuesday morning deciding to head straight to the Jasper Park Lodge to sort out my dorm and offload all my gear (I still have waaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff). And how sweet is this, I have my own room until…dunno when. My view is pretty sweet too. Don’t think too much of the kitchen (and lack of utensils) so it might be a while before I try working on my cooking again, which does suck. Although I did manage to get a frying pan (yes, a frying pan from the “free bin” today. Met up with my management and it looks like I’ll be starting work a little latter due to the Store not being ready yet. But only a day later. Still waiting for them to turn my internet on in my dorm, I’ve been using “default” but the signal is soooooo weak!

Had a night out last night in Grizzly’s Cafe, $2.75 for Alberta’s local beer! Too Right. Finally actually hanging out with some Canadians (all from the East though, aint met no one from the West (as in, where I am)). Everyone seems well friendly. Apparently block A (where I’m living) is meant to be the party block….sweeta! And my gym is cheap and VERY close too (I can see it from my room).

Need to check out the mountain situation though. The runs are open, but I think we’re gonna need (and, more than likely, get) a bit more snow…bring on the cold. Which sucks cos I hear that the snow is pretty thick right now back home……and you’ve all got the day off work, I start working tomorrow! Least I've got the mountains, and stuff discount to get to them!

My new "bare"  room


And the view from my window



My new store inside the Fairmont, not quite finished...but it should be now. We're moving stuff in tomorrow and opening on Friday.

….And to top it off, they have Root Beer here too! No, scratch that….They have FREE Root Beer here, so long teeth! In fact all food’s cheap (and healthy) in the staff canteen! Also the "White Man" at road crossings lies here too!


Again, I aint gonna check this one over cos it's late, plus I HAVE to get up in the morning...first time in a long while!

No comments:

Post a Comment