Thursday, April 7, 2011

Queensland–The Australian “Sunshine State”–Sorry it’s the “Smart State” now!

I think the best way to start this one is to state that, even though it’s 2 months behind Canada, Bieber fever is at it’s peak in Australia….so exciting!

Now, I’ve got that most important of issues dealt with I’ll carry on. So as of Tomorrow (Wednesday 6th April) I will have been in Australia for two weeks. And in the last two weeks, I’ve found a house, had a few job trails and Danny G has come over from jolly old England.

When I first got here, I got picked up from Brisbane airport by Tom (a friend I meet in Jasper, Canada) and his roommate, Gordo, I got a quick tour of (the unflooded) Brisbane, one of the best cupcakes Brisbane has to offer and a night out hitting a few of the Brisbane bars.

Photo002

Look, it was sunny for my arrival! Australia weather 1 England weather 0.

Photo005

The view from one of Tom and Gordo’s balconies.

Photo012Photo018

The Gabba – home of AFL’s Brisbane Lions, and some cricket team!?! (I think it might be Queensland (if that is a team!?))

Photo029

Since then, I’ve been house and job hunting. I found a house last Monday, just in time for Dan to arrive (on Tuesday night). And we were able to move in on Friday. And to celebrate we did open the JDs that British airways kindly “gave” me from my flight when I left England back in September….it seemed like a good time to drink them. (In fact, I can’t believe Australian customs didn’t take them off me, but having said that Australian customs was the easiest of any country I’ve ever been in, in complete honesty once I got through I nearly went back to tell them they hadn’t done something right…it really was that easy (Australia customs 1 USA customs 0).

Photo145Photo147Photo148

But don’t worry, they were very quickly replaced.

The home is pretty sweet, fully furnished, including TV and balcony….and ants, but we’re working on that. We also have a swimming pool on the complex. And we are living in an area called Kangaroo Point…it couldn’t be more Australian if it tried. We also live very close to The Gabba (about a 10 minute walk), a few bars, and we’re just a $4 ferry ride or walk across the Story bridge (which runs alongside Brisbane for an awesome view) to the centre of Brisbane, and the nightlife in Fortitude Valley (the same area that Tom and Gordo live in).

Photo130Photo131Photo133Photo134Photo135Photo136Photo137Photo138Photo141Photo143

152813-439046-726-LAs far as the job hunting. I’ve handed my CV (or resume) into about 30 bars or restaurants now looking for bar work, not including the online applications. From this I have had a couple of trails and an interview at a strip club, although I don’t think I’ll be getting that job…sadly. The picture above is the picture I used to apply for the strip club, it was a very spur-of-the-moment choice….at least it got me an interview! I have also been applying to companies and speaking to agencies about doing more work with my electronic engineering, although, I feel that will be harder to find a job. Tomorrow morning is gonna be another day of chasing companies for trails or getting a response on my trails. But as I type this Dan is on his third trail with a restaurant on the waterfront (which I think means he is now on his first shift) and he seems to be enjoying it. I’m still not completely sure what work I’d prefer to do, but money would be nice, plus I (kinda) miss work. Plus we kinda need things like the internet (so that I can do things like publish this entree), but we did get our electricity and gas sorted today, and my Westpac bank card arrived today, just a shame that there’s no money in my account!

Dan and I have also been out and about round Brisbane centre. It seems like a pretty active city.

Photo046Photo047Photo049Photo051Photo054Photo064Photo072Photo078Photo079Photo081Photo107Photo108Photo113Photo119

The Story Bridge and Kangaroo Point, taken from just outside the centre of Brisbane.

Photo120

Sunday was also the third 3rd April in a row that I haven’t been in England.

Thanks to Tom and Gordo hosting me for a week (and Dan for a night) whilst I was getting a house sorted, it made it so much easier, as well as all the advice and laughs (including a broken hand0. Also, thank you to my parents for getting Dan to bring over a few clothes for me, a few dollars (which did go on a lunch), my card reader, and my warning:

Photo032Photo033Photo034

Thanks for the advice!

Map-Queensland-309933

Brisbane kinda gave me the same feeling that Providence (Rhode Island) gave me when I first arrived, it’s hard to explain but it’s just a good vibe, and I loved Providence, so hopefully good things are ahead in Brisbane. And the circumstances are completely different here too. And I think I’m gonna get into Aussie Rules much easier then American Football (Aussie rules actually looks like a good sport), up the Lions! (who have just lost their first two games of the AFL season).

ts

No comments:

Post a Comment